Throughout the history of the Septathalon, there have been various "special" awards given out. These include:
- The MAD FIGS Dollar. Prior to the Septathalon, the MAD FIGS Dollar
officially belonged to the best pole vaulter in the group. Unfortunately, after the 1997 Track season it looked like Paul
would hold this honor for life. It was agreed that a new test of skill was necessary, and the Septathalon has since proven to
be the perfect choice. In theory, anyone can rise up to claim this amazing prize... but in practice the task requires a
superhuman devotion to all things 'FIG related.
- The "I lost to the Animal" trophy. This award
was introduced as a consolation prize for the second place finisher in 2002, but since the recipient failed to bring it back
in subsequent years the tradition has been lost. This is probably for the best, since if the Animal were to receive the
trophy it could cause a break in the fabric of reality.
- Seventh Place - While there has never been an official award for the 7th place finisher, it is silently considered to
be the next best thing to winning it all.
- The 14th Place Award - While finishing 7th is a cause for celebration, coming in 14th
is a deadly curse. The reward for 14th place from 2001 onwards was supposed to be the Devil Medal (a sinister medallion
discovered at Woodward Park by vinnardo), but everyone to whom it has been offered has refused to accept it. In 2005 a new
tradition was established - the 14th place finisher would become responsible for the Canadian
Goose decoy for the rest of the year, and would have to carry it around at the next Septathalon. In 2007, a plaque
commemorating the victims was created.
- MAD FIGS CDs. In 2002, the top 7 finishers were presented with an amazing reward - a
newly remastered and expanded version of the MAD FIGS tape, transferred onto state-of-the-art technology. Interestingly,
Angry Bear was the only non-MAD FIGS member to receive this honor.
- Counterfeit MAD FIGS dollar (v2). - In 2009 the Animal couldn't find the original,
so before the awards ceremony vinnardo made a crude replica of the MAD FIGS dollar. Unfortunately, this award was also lost
after the first year it was presented.
- MAD FIGS 2 Dollar Bill. In 2012, Lito created a much more accurate replica of the MAD FIGS Dollar to be used in place of
the missing original. However, after the offical MAD FIGS Dollar was found and presented to the winner in 2013, the 2 dollar
bill was instead used as a second place award.
- Attendance award. After Lito missed most of the events in 2013, Paul was left as the
only person to have competed in every Septathalon event to date. In commemoration of this achievement, he received a portrait of William
Wallace from a soon-to-be-closed Blockbuster Video.
Back to the MAD FIGS Septathalon
Email the MAD FIGS